Friday 19 June 2020

IGNORANTIA JURIS NON EXCUSAT

A very beautiful day to you all.


Let me expose myself a little bit. There is this popular phrase in Nigeria that quite a lot of us really say wrongly: "AS AND WHEN DUE." A lot of people mishear this phrase to be "AS AT WHEN DUE." Well, maybe not quite a lot of people. But I own up to the fact that I have always thoughT the latter is the correct form. As a matter of fact, I was on the verge of correcting one of my bosses that makes use of this phrase a lot. I already made up my mind that the next time she repeats it, I was going to send her a message privately and correct her. How so thoughtful of me. But my instinct just pushed me to check it out first. Alas, I have been the wrong user all along. I can't imagine the disgrace of trying to correct what was never wrong in the first place.

The purpose of that story is to make us realize the importance of knowledge. There is nothing too big or too small to know. There is this popular phrase that says: Unlearn, Learn and Re-learn. This is the essence of living. No matter how knowledgeable or well informed you are, there is definitely going to be an area that requires you to sought out for more information. 

Ours is a generation with so many information all around us. We live in a period where you can easily gain access to virtually any kind of information you so desire. But the truth of the matter is that having them benefits no one. We can only benefit from these bulk of knowledge when we make effort to learn through them.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying so they say. What was correct last year might not be accurately correct this year. That is the essence of seeking out for knowledge on a routine basis. One factor that we need to look out for however is ASSUMPTION. Assumption has killed a lot of dreams and desire. 

I was once scheduled for an interview session many years back. Because i have interned with them before, I assumed a lot of things about the structure of the company. In my folly, I only prepared for the technical part of my interview that has to do with the job role while I neglected the other part that deals with knowing about the company you wish to work for. It was during the interview session I realized that quite a lot has changed. Of course I lost out.

Ignorance is a killer. It robs us of what should be ours. Never allow the school of thought that says what you don't know can't kill you. Nothing can be farther from the truth. Knowing gives you an edge wherever you find yourself. It gives you a leverage in any field you find yourself. Career progression in the world we live in now is subjected to what you have learnt. You can never know it all.

Finally, make a conscious effort in learning on a daily basis. Increase and expand your knowledge. Be sure of whatever you are not sure of. Never allow assumption to rob you of the streams of opportunities that awaits you. Kick out ignorance and give knowledge through learning a chance.

Remember, ignorantia juris non excusat.


#mindyourminute 'keeplearning #saynotoignorance #neverstoplearning

2 comments:

  1. Lol..... The right quote is "the day we stop learning is the day we die".......you are welcome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction anyways

    ReplyDelete